Summary of the Regular Eastland Board of Education Meeting
January 15, 2014 – President Bill Woessner called to order the Regular Meeting of the Eastland Board of Education for Wed., January 15, 2014. The Board approved the Treasurer’s Report and the payments of all bills and claims for the month. They also approved the minutes of the Regular Meeting of December 18th.
During Board Input, Superintendent Hansen shared a summary of the informational presentation that the three superintendents are developing to explain the 1% sales tax to the public. On Monday, January 16th, the superintendents presented a draft presentation to a group of twenty community members for input and feedback. Based on that feedback, the presentation will be revised and improved. (See related story in this week’s Prairie Advocate)
Dr. Hansen explained that the Sterling Public Schools’ petition to withdraw from the Bi-County Special Education Cooperative was disapproved by the Regional Boards of Trustees after a hearing held on Tuesday, January 17th. It will be Sterling’s decision whether to accept the decision of the Regional Boards of Trustees, or appeal to the Illinois State Board of Education.
The Board heard an update on progress made in implementing recommendations of the Ad Hoc Committee on School Security. Superintendent Hansen will be meeting with police officers from Shannon and Lanark to evaluate on-duty schedules in relation to student attendance days. He will present information on those schedules to the Board in February, along with an analysis of the potential impact on law enforcement response time. The District is seeking quotes on school security camera systems, and hopes to have a recommendation for the February meeting.
The Board approved as a 2014-15 curriculum change the addition of a senior level math class – Statistics and Probability. The intention is to offer a rigorous senior-level math course as an alternative to Advanced Placement Calculus for students who need to meet their 4-year math requirement for graduation.
Continuing, the Board approved the Eastland High School Curriculum Guide for 2014-15, and heard a 2nd quarter budget report. Based on revenue and expenditures for the first half of the year, Dr. Hansen is projecting a $50,000 deficit in the Education Fund at the conclusion of the year, with revenues sufficient to meet expenditures for the Transportation and Operations and Maintenance funds.
In further planning for 2014-15, the Board approved three (3) recommendations to make changes to the services and programs purchased through the Bi-County Special Education Cooperative for 2014-15:
1) to self-administer its own Special Education Pre-School program for 2014-15,
2) to provide Speech/Language services for those Special Education Pre-School students with the District’s Speech/Language Pathologist, as opposed to purchasing the services of an itinerant Speech/Language Pathologist from the Cooperative to serve those students, and
3) to reduce from two (2) days to one (1) day the purchased services of an itinerant Social Worker from the Cooperative.
As final items in Old Business, the Board approved revisions to the policy on Field Trips to add language pertaining to out-of-country educational trips, and approved a 1-year extension of the Eastland-Pearl City High School Football Cooperative Agreement through the conclusion of the 2015 season.
The Board heard a first reading of the proposed school calendar for 2014-15. Superintendent Hansen met with the Calendar Committee of the Eastland Education Association, but had not received feedback or input prior to the meeting. Feedback from the staff will be considered and coordinated with the Chadwick-Milledgeville and WACC calendars, and a final recommendation brought to the Board for approval in February.
The Board adjourned to Closed Session at 7:27 p.m. to the purpose of discussing “the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the District or legal counsel for the District, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee or against legal counsel for the District to determine its validity.”
They exited Closed Session at 7:48 p.m. and approved the following personnel actions:
1. Approved the re-assignments of the following transportation personnel: re-assigned Mellody Krieger from Special Pre-School Route to Regular Route; re-assigned Janessa Gravenstein from Extra-Shuttle Route to Special Pre-School Route; re-assigned Jack Birkholz from sub driver to Extra-Shuttle Route driver
2. Approved the hire of [Rick Sivertsen] as a sub bus driver pending completion of employment paperwork.
3. Approved continuing to post a vacancy for an Assistant Jr. High Football Coach for the E-PC Co-op for the 2014 season.
4. Approved posting a vacancy for a long-term sub for a 4th grade teacher from February 24 - April 25th, 2014.
5. Approved posting the following teaching vacancies for 2014-15 with an application deadline of March 1, 2014: one, full-time Kindergarten teacher; one, full-time Third Grade teacher; one, full-time High School Special Education Teacher.