Domestic Violence Vigil – Oct 18th, 7 pm on the Carroll Co. Courthouse lawn.
Myth or fact? Domestic violence is a personal issue, it doesn’t affect me. This is a myth. Domestic violence is a social issue.
As a societal member, there are many costs, such as;
· Medical, from the emergency room to the family practitioner visit.
· Employment, numerous hours of missed work or sick time due to physical or emotional abuse.
· Law Enforcement, hours and hours of time spent on calls, arrests, and investigation of domestic situations.
· Children, physically and mentally effected, unaware of what healthy relationships look like.
· Education system, spending more to help students with issues due to abuse at home.
How do we stop the violence?
· Listen; give your support and validation to the victims and survivors.
· Offer resources, such as Riverview Center, who serves victims and survivors of domestic violence.
· Call Law Enforcement, if you think someone is being abused.
· Hold the abuser accountable for their actions, legally and socially.
It is never acceptable to abuse someone.
Please join Riverview Center, a representative of the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office and community members for a Candle Light Vigil on Thursday, October 18th, at 7PM on the courthouse lawn to support victims and survivors of domestic violence. There will be hot chocolate and cookies provided throughout the evening.
Domestic Violence Legal Advocate