Special Meeting Summary of the Eastland Board of Education
The Eastland Board of Education held a Special Meeting on December 5, 2012 starting at 6:30 p.m. After a closed session to discuss personnel, the Board approved revisions and renewal of a 2-year cooperative agreement with Pearl City for high school football. Superintendent Hansen highlighted the changes to the agreement that were developed by an Ad Hoc committee of Board members from both districts:
1. Pearl City will serve as the host school for the co-op for the 2013 season; Eastland for the 2014 season.
2. The first three home games in 2013 will be played at Eastland, with the last two home games and any playoff games at Pearl City. This will alternate from year to year so that both districts get an equal opportunity to host playoff games.
3. Personnel decisions will require a majority vote of both Boards of Education. Past practice was that only one Board of Education served as the Board of employment for each coach.
4. A provision was added to allow for both Boards of Education to annually extend the agreement by one year.
5. A procedural mechanism was added to create a Co-Op Joint Committee with two representatives from each Board of Education to hear grievances or to help resolve disputes.
Continuing, the Board approved the bid from Gitz-Meier of Freeport for remodeling work to the Fitness and Home Ec Rooms at Eastland Middle School in Shannon. The current Fitness Room will be remodeled into a Pre-School classroom, and the current Home Ec Room into a 5th/6th grade classroom. The total contract sum will be $68,560. Seven (7) contractors submitted bids for the project.
As a third item of business, the Board approved renewal of its Workers Compensation Insurance with Star Insurance for a total premium of $36,828, effective December 15, 2012. And as a final item of business, they approved field trips for the FFA Officer Retreat in Wisconsin, the FFA Leadership Conference, and the IMEA State Music Convention.