Morrison City Council Discusses Historic Preservation ‘Opt Out’
By LYNNETTE FORTH | For The Prairie Advocate News
MORRISON – The December 10th meeting of the Morrison City Council was met by a large crowd. All council members were in attendance.
Resident Corrine Bender, Director of the Morrison Chamber of Commerce, addressed the council encouraging new businesses to come into Morrison. Pam Pickens spoke on the Waste Water Treatment Plant, stating that any of the projected sites for the new plant do not meet property line requirements.
Jerry Lindsey, John Lamp, and Nancy Anderson spoke in favor of the requests from Resthave in regard to their large building permit charge. The vote was in favor of allowing the waiver of the fee in the amount of $37,635.00.
Harvey Zuidema commented on the proposed bike path, stating he would like the City to start over, and do the planning right. Zuidema was also concerned about the legality of a motion made by Barb Bees to build the trail (Bees is a member of Friends of the Parks, and whose husband wrote the grant).
Board and Commission reports were heard including Historic Preservation Commission Minutes of December 5th. A meeting of the Commission will be held on December 20th to vote on which properties are going to be recommended to the council to “opt out “ of the Historic Districts. Property owners wishing to make an “opt out” request must get applications turned into City Hall or postmarked by December 31st.
City Administrator Jim Wise reported on the low to moderate income survey, and a grant application to seek funding assistance for the Community Development Assistance Program, Public Facilities Construction Grant, through Fehr-Graham and Associates. The program can secure up to $400,000.00 of grant funding.
Sports Complex Director Jim Dubois presented his end of the year report for review by the council.
The Consent Agenda was approved that included the November 26th 2012 meeting minutes, Bills Payable ($438,754.61), November 2012 Treasurer’s Report, 2013 Meeting Schedule, and Resignations/Appointments for the Morrison Business Advisory Group. Appointed were Scott Stocker and Angie VanderVinne. Kent Klima, Corinne Bender, and Ellen Smith resigned.
Resolution #12-16-Personnel Policy will be discussed further at January meeting.
Resthave Home Request for Waiver of building permit fee was approved, and their request to have the City take over their private water system supply lines was approved, with Mayor Drey voting to break the tie.
Approval of the Engineering and Construction of Morrison Rockwood Recreational Trail Pedestrian/Bike Path extension to Rockwood State Park was also approved, at no cost to the city, except the upfront reimbursable fee of $247,000.00, by an 80% grant from the Department of Natural Resources. When the trail is finished the Friends of the Parks will repay the city the other 20%.
Other Items for Consideration, Discussion and Information:
- Ordinance #12-36-2013 Tax Levy
- FEMA-French Creek Floodplain Study/Match MADC Contribution
- Purchase of sanitary/storm sewer flow meters (approved)
- Request Extension of well #3 decommission date from IEPA...letters to be sent
- Fiscal year 2013 budget amendments (moved to January meeting).