At their June 21, 2012 Board of Education meeting held at Milledgeville High School, the Chadwick - Milledgeville CUSD #399 School Board:
- Approved Minutes of the May 21, 2012 Regular Meeting & Closed Session, Payment of Bills for June, 2012, Treasurer’s Report for May 2012, the Hot Lunch Report for May 2012, and the Student Activity Fund Account Summary for May 2012.
- Recognized Employees with Perfect Attendance for 2011-12. Certified employees recognized were Kelly Leddy, Robin Palmer, Dave VanLangen, and Sue Williams. Non-certified were Valerie Geary, Roxanne Kness, Darla Turner, and Karen Wirth. - Read letter congratulating Coach Jason Wroble & the Milledgeville-Eastland Girls Track Team on qualifying an individual for the IHSA State Track Meet.
- Read letters congratulating Coach Sarah Spears, Jody Engelkens, Tom Martz, Brad Grenoble & the Milledgeville High School Softball team on their third place win at State.
- Thank you received from the Chadwick Club Volleyball Team for use of the gym this past winter.
- Thank you received from the family of Elmer Rahn, Sr., and from the family of June Grace Diehl.
Under Old Business:
- Approved Handbook Changes for 2012-2013
- Chadwick-added full board bullying policy to handbook
- Milledgeville-Principal Rademacher reported that there were minor wording changes made. No policies were added or removed.
- Approved Bids for Bread, Milk and Gasoline/Fuel. Bread bid was awarded to IBC Sales Corporation Davenport, Iowa. Milk bid was awarded to Werhane Enterprises LTD Lena, IL. Fuel--board decided to table the fuel bids in order to seek more information on the costs of infrastructure required to have your own tanks.
- Approved price quote for installation of card access door control systems at both the Chadwick and Milledgeville Buildings. Per Mar Security Services will install the system on three doors at each building at a cost of $12,070.
- Approved bids for a student transportation van and a driver’s education vehicle. Pete Harkness Dodge out of Sterling was awarded the bid for possibly two new 2012 Dodge Caravans at a cost of $21,180 each contingent upon sufficient funding in the transportation budget which will be determined within the next thirty days.
In New Business:
- Approved Student Registration & Lunch Fees for the 2012-13 school year. Mr. Schurman stated that due to the increasing costs associated with technology and infrastructure we have added a technology fee of $20 per student. In addition, lunch prices were increased by 10 cents.
- Approved new breakfast program for grades K-3 only, starting August 21, 2012. Mr. Schurman reported that due to the high percentage of low income students in grades K-3 we are required by the Illinois State Board of Education to provide students at that grade level breakfast each morning. We are piloting the program at the K-3 grade level and may offer breakfast to all grade levels in the future.
- Approved Resolution of Compliance with Prevailing Wages
- Designated Superintendent Tim Schurman to review, accept, and sign-off on the financial statements of the district which include the audit report, annual financial report, and the annual data collection for single audits
- Agriculture/Science Department Annual Report - Mrs. Feltmeyer submitted a report detailing the many accomplishments and awards earned by the FFA program this past year. In addition, she outlined the curriculum covered in each of her agriculture classes.
- Approved resolution that explains that there have been no purchases made by members of the board of education from the Chadwick-Milledgeville CUSD #399 for fiscal year 2012.
- Accepted Bid for liability insurance package. Recommending Trissel Graham and Toole with WRM Insurance for Workman’s Compensation ($18,238), Broker’s Risk for Treasurer’s Bond ($1,474), Liability and Legal Liability ($37,243). This represents a $7,000 savings over last year.
- First reading of PRESS policy update issue #79
Mr. Schurman reported that the following proposed policy updates are being proposed in this update: update administrative procedures, educator licensing changes, purchasing and contracts, new food service rules, bus conduct rules, changes to procedures regarding student records, and new rules on bus cameras. In addition, there are several non-substantive revisions and footnote changes.
- Approved new two-year Track Coop with Eastland CUSD #308. Mr. Schurman noted that the Track Cooperative has been very successful and that Coaches Jason Wroble, Keith Mayne, and Shawn Dail have done an excellent job.
- Approved 2012-13 regular board meeting schedule dates and times.
Board meetings will continue to be held on the third Monday of each month at 7:00 pm in the Milledgeville High School library. Mr. Schurman did note that regular meetings will be held on the third Tuesday during the months January and February in order to avoid conflicts with national holidays.
- Technology improvements summary report for 2011-12.
Mr. Schurman reported that a great many improvements have been made this year thanks to the efforts of District Technology Assistant Hunter Allspaugh and Technology Coordinator Martin Stauffer. Some of the enhancements include new servers, network monitoring, new hardware, new mobile lab at the junior high, new switches, cloud system backup, software upgrades, new assessment software K-12, new high school lab computers, network security and firewall upgrades, and a new e-mail account system with Microsoft.
- Closed session: Voted to go into closed session at 8:26 pm Voted to come out of closed session at 8:57 pm.
Approved recommended non-certified salary increase for the 2012-13 school year.
Approved a one year contract extension for Principal Paula Rademacher.
The contract is for the 2012-13 school year at a salary of $72,930 which represents a 2% increase.
Approved the re-assignment of Martin Stauffer as Assistant Technology Coordinator for the 2012-13 school year.
Superintendent Schurman noted that Mr. Stauffer will serve a support role on an as needed basis and will be paid $15/hour for any work he completes.
Approved hiring Hunter Allspaugh as District Technology Coordinator.
Mr. Schurman noted that Mr. Allspaugh has done an excellent job this past year and that he will be paid $19.25/hour according to his new contract approved at this board meeting.
Approve a 2% salary increase and a one year contract extension for Superintendent Schurman through June 30, 2015. Mr. Schurman’s salary for the 2012-13 school year will be $104,550.
Approved purchasing ½ the cost of a full time Life Sciences teacher from West Carroll School District for the 2012-13 school year only.
Upheld student suspensions.
In Administrative Business:
- IASB Convention Plans November 16-18. Reservations were sent in Monday, June 11, 2012.
- Report on Educational and Legislative Issues. Mr. Schurman reported that the legislature cut General State Aide an additional 6% over last year’s proration. In addition it is expected that the Governor will call a special session to complete pension reform.
- Superintendent’s Report:
Summer Work update. Mr. Schurman reported that maintenance crews are ahead of schedule in each of the buildings this year and that the staff is doing a nice job cleaning the buildings. He specifically thanked Mrs. Roxanne Kness and Mrs. Chris Maves for substituting for vacationing janitorial staff and praised the quality work they have done. In addition, Mr. Schurman noted that Mr. Keith Mayne who was hired to mow and take care of the district grounds has done an excellent job. Both buildings grounds, fence lines, playgrounds, and the football field look outstanding thanks to Mr. Mayne’s efforts.
Initial ISAT Scores. Mr. Schurman reported that students in grades K-8 scored very well. 100% of the students in 3rd grade met or exceeded in math this year. Mr. Schurman credited the outstanding work of the districts certified staff for the high level of performance attained on this year’s assessments.
Summer School. Mr. Schurman reported that Thursday, June 21, 2012 was the last day of summer school and that it went very well this year. Twenty eight students participated in summer school this year and the teaching staff did a great job as usual.
Student Teacher Junior High Math. Mr. Schurman reported that Mr. Rahn will have a student teacher from Ashford University this coming fall.
The meeting adjourned at 9:20 pm. The next Board meeting will be Monday, July 16, 2012, at 7:00 pm at the Milledgeville High School Library.