FOTP Break Ground for the Morrison-Rockwood Recreational Trail
L to R: Ann Slavin (FOTP), Pat Zuidema (former City Council member), Jim Modglin (IDNR), Glen Ackeberg (FOTP), Stan Mitick (FOTP), Marc Adami (FOTP), Mayor R. Everett Pannier, Bob Brandon (FOTP), and Barb Benson (FOTP) break ground for the trail. (Courtesy of the Morrison Chamber of Commerce)
A ground breaking ceremony was held on Friday, September 6, 2013 to celebrate the construction phase of the first half of the Morrison-Rockwood Recreational Trail.
For well over a decade, the Morrison “Friends of the Parks” (FOTP) organization has striven to secure funds to build a safe passage for walkers and bikers between the City of Morrison and the entrance to Morrison-Rockwood State Park. Finally, through the persistent efforts of the group, the trail has come to fruition.
“Our very special thanks to the hundreds of people and organizations who generously donated the money to make this project possible,” said FOTP Representative Stan Mitick. “Thanks to the landowners who gave the city easements for the trail to pass over their land, to the city of Morrison for sponsoring the project, to the Mayor and Morrison City Council for approving the design and construction of the trail, to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) for the grant and their representatives Jim Modglin, George Bellovics, and David Sellman for their counsel and administration, to trail engineers Fehr-Graham & Associates and contractor Law Construction, and to Ed Barsotti of the League of Illinois Bicyclists for his support.”
The trail is funded by 80% in grant funding from the IDNR and the Recreational Trails Program, with the remaining 20% coming from fundraising efforts by the group. Estimated date of construction completion of the first half of the trail is late fall 2013.
Friends of the Parks are looking forward to pursuing the completion of the trail the remainder of the way to the park. For more information and to donate to the trail, contact Friends of the Parks member Ann Slavin at 815-772-2345 or 815-499-4991.